We hope everything will go well every day when we get to work. Regardless of our position or title, we constantly risk suffering a work-related accident. Even though most employers likely take safety measures seriously, it’s crucial to be aware of the benefits offered for accidents at work. The money it receives from companies is used by the WSIB, or Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, to pay payments to injured employees. WSIB coverage is not mandated for every workplace. However, if yours does and you’re interested in learning more, you’ve arrived at the appropriate location! The main WSIB points will be covered in this essay.

WSIB Basics

Every firm has insurance to help employees who have sustained occupational injuries. The employee should be entitled to several benefits under this insurance, but specific procedures must be followed to do so. The WSIB pays payments directly from employers to cover work-related injury or illness, as noted in our introduction. In some circumstances, your place of employment will offer workers’ compensation, while other areas of work must offer WSIB coverage. You will automatically be insured by WSIB whether or not your employer contributes to it. You must claim if you are hurt while working or because of your job. The WSIB will then take the necessary actions to identify the type of coverage you require. It’s crucial to note that if you sue your employer, you won’t be allowed to do so if workers’ compensation covers your injury. We’ll then go over how to file a claim in detail.

WSIB Claim Process

Initially, set forth a claim for your work-related injuries. You, your employer, or your physician may make this claim. These are the first three steps in submitting a claim:

  1. The mishap must be reported as quickly as possible. Ideally, within the first six months, if not immediately. The period will begin when you first realize you have a work-related sickness. To file a claim, you must get in touch with the WSIB. Once you do, they will send you a Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease (Form 6), which you may also get from their website. Your employer will need to receive this paperwork.
  2. As soon as your employer is informed, you must notify the company of the injury or illness within three days, which is crucial if you need medical attention or miss work. Your employer then files the Employers Report of Injury/Disease (Form 7), and you must receive a copy.


  1. You will require a copy of page two of your doctor’s Health Professionals Report (Form 8).


It’s important to take note that a workers’ compensation claim could take years to resolve, depending on the type of your injuries. If you obtain compensation because you are permanently disabled, you must deal with the WSIB until you are 65. Even if you’re not going to work during the initial stages of the procedure, you’ll need to stay in touch with your employer.

Additionally, the legislation mandates that you notify the WSIB of any “material changes” immediately. Although the meaning of this is not quite apparent, we recommend reporting if your medical condition worsens or you return to work. The safest action is to call the WSIB if you’re unsure what to write.

It’s also important to note that the WSIB may decide which physician you consult to determine whether you are healthy enough to go back to work. They also advise you to enroll in a program for therapy or recovery. Speaking with your doctor if these solutions don’t work for you is crucial. Document all phone conversations between you, your doctor, and the WSIB.